Total CE Credit Hours: 7
Course Info URL: https://www.addictioncounselorce.com/courses/100311
About the Course:
This course presents hundreds of practical, stress-reducing techniques and approaches for dealing with your most difficult clients. Theories of resistance are examined and a model presented that empowers mental health professionals to resolve roadblocks in therapy. Topics addressed include: therapist errors that create resistance, specific techniques for managing resistance, problems with excessive questioning, dealing with “I don’t know” and “Yes, but” responses, dealing with challenges to therapists from clients, and dealing with silence. These techniques are applicable across a wide array of clients and problems, and can be integrated with all theoretical approaches. Emphasis will be on “how to” aspects of resistance management, though the theory behind each approach is provided. This book is a valuable resource that both the working professional and student will turn to when seeking realistic, pragmatic ideas and strategies for overcoming stagnation and creating therapeutic movement.
This course is based on the book, Effective Techniques for Dealing With Highly Resistant Clients: Innovative Ideas and Approaches to Prevent, Avoid, and Resolve Resistance created by Clifton Mitchell Ph.D.
Course Material Author
After taking this course, you should be able to:
- Differentiate between conventional and modern definitions of resistance. Participants will be able to conceptualize resistance in a manner that empowers them to avoid, circumvent, and utilize it for client benefit.
- Describe and understand the most common errors therapists make that foster and promote client resistance. Explain the pitfalls of over-questioning when working with resistant clients and how to employ more effective alternative approaches.
- Identify nine basic, overriding principles for dealing with resistance in therapeutic environments. Explain the importance of tending to each principle in therapeutic relationships in order to tactfully manage resistance.
- Understand and explain the inherent power of language with regards to resistance. Employ numerous specific linguistic techniques that circumvent resistance and create therapeutic movement.
- Understand methods for dealing with common difficulties such as “Yes, but?” and “I don’t know” responses.
All exam questions for the course are visible on this page for members of Addiction Counselor CE.
If you're already a member, please sign in to see the exam questions for this and all other courses.
Is this course approved for my continuing education requirements?
Yes, most likely. Look Up Your State Board for more detailed information. Logged-in site members will see the relevant approval information displayed in the Approvals tab for every course.
Do you have accommodations for my disability (ADA)?
If you are having trouble using Addiction Counselor CE, please contact us! We would be happy to accommodate your needs right away, and your input will help us make Addiction Counselor CE more accessible for future users too.
How do I enroll in this course?
Use the Enroll In This Course button and just follow the instructions! You don't pay anything until you're ready to take an exam.
What do I have to do to complete the course?
To complete the course, review the course objectives, then review the material, and then pass the exam with a score of 75% or greater and lastly complete an evaluation.
How do I access the materials?
Most of our courses are based on online articles available for free to the public. Some courses, such as those based on books, require that you purchase the material. Use the Materials tab above for more info. You don't need to enroll in the course to access materials, whether free or paid. So you always know what you're getting into before you commit to taking the exam.
How do I get my certificate?
Your certificate(s) will be available to download or email immediately when you pass the course exam and complete the evaluation.
Can I contact you for more help?
Yes! Use the Help widget at the bottom-right of the screen anywhere on Addiction Counselor CE to search our help docs, or to ask our support team for help. Unlike most of our competitors, Addiction Counselor CE has live US-based support reps to help you by email, chat, or phone.