- Washington Addiction Counselors
AddictionCounselorCE.com distant learning course credits are accepted, as set forth by the Washington State Department of Health.
14 hours must be in one or more topics (a-w) See details at: http://www.doh.wa.gov/hsqa/Professions/ChemicalDep/education.htm
4 must be in professional ethics or law. Ten (10) may be in areas relating to various phases of one’s professional career.
28 of the 40 hours must be continuing education. The additional 12 may be continuing education or “professional development activities”.
6 credit hours must be in suicide assessment, treatment, and management
(1)(A) Each of the following professionals certified or licensed under Title 18 RCW shall, at least once every six years, complete training in suicide assessment, treatment, and management that is approved, in rule, by the relevant disciplining authority.
c) The training required by this subsection must be at least six hours in length, unless a disciplinary authority has determined, under subsection (8)(b) of this section, that training that includes only screening and referral elements is appropriate for the profession in question, in which case the training must be at least three hours in length.
Our courses not allowed for initial certification hours
Addiction Counselor CE is a service of CE Learning Systems LLC. CE Learning Systems is approved to offer continuing educations courses by NAADAC (#410) and many ICRC certification boards. CE Learning Systems LLC maintains responsibility for the courses.
Board Contact Info
Washington State Department of Health (AODA Counselors)
111 Israel Rd. S.E.
Tumwater, WA 98501
Fax number: 360-236-4818
CDP renewal-Ethics and Law requirement, 4 CE credit hours
Addiction Counselor CE offers 7 courses for this requirement.102974: APA Ethics Code: With the 2016 Amendments to Standard 3.04, 2 CE credit hours
- 102815: Drug Addiction: From Neuroscience to Ethics, 1 CE credit hour
- 102742: Legal and Ethical Issues for Mental Health Clinicians: Best Practices for Avoiding Litigation, Complaints and Malpractice, 7.5 CE credit hours
- 102377: Ethics and Technology, 1.5 CE credit hour
- 102359: National Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics 2017, 1.25 CE credit hour
- View All 7 Courses
CDP renewal-14 hours in topic areas, 14 CE credit hours
At least 14 hours must be done in one or more of the following topic areas. For each topic area AddictionCounselorCE has courses that address the area. These can be found here: http://www.addictioncounselorce.com/courses. You may browse our Course Categories or do a keyword search.
• Understanding addiction;
• Pharmacological actions of alcohol and other drugs;
• Substance abuse and addiction treatment methods;
• Understanding addiction placement, continuing care, and discharge criteria, including American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) criteria;
• Cultural diversity including people with disabilities and its implication for treatment;
• Chemical dependency clinical evaluation (screening and referral to include comorbidity);
• HIV/AIDS brief risk intervention for the chemically dependent;
• Chemical dependency treatment planning;
• Referral and use of community resources;
• Service coordination (implementing the treatment plan, consulting, continuing assessment and treatment planning);
• Individual counseling;
• Group counseling;
• Chemical dependency counseling for families, couples and significant others;
• Developmental psychology;
• Psychopathology/abnormal psychology;
• Documentation, to include, screening, intake, assessment, treatment plan, clinical reports, clinical progress notes, discharge summaries, and other client related data;
• Chemical dependency confidentiality;
• Professional and ethical responsibilities;
• Relapse prevention;
• Adolescent chemical dependency assessment and treatment;
• Chemical dependency case management; and
• Chemical dependency rules and regulations.
Group Trauma Treatment in Early Recovery- Part 2: Process, Leadership and Adaptation (Chapter 5-Appendixes) 6 CE credit hours
Group Trauma Treatment in Early Recovery- Part 1: (Chapter 1-4) 6 CE credit hours
Clinical Topics & Methods
Telehealth for the Treatment of Serious Mental Illness and Substance Use Disorders 3.5 CE credit hours
Technology and Counseling
TIP 33 Treatment for Stimulant Use Disorders-Special Populations 4 CE credit hours
Counseling (Theory and Techniques)
TIP 33 Treatment for Stimulant Use Disorders-Treatment Approached and Strategies 4 CE credit hours
TIP 33 Treatment for Stimulant Use Disorders-Medical Aspects of Stimulant Use Disorder 3.5 CE credit hours
TIP 33 Treatment for Stimulant Use Disorders-How Stimulants Affect the Brain 2.5 CE credit hours
Ethical and Safety Concerns Regarding the Use of Mental Health–Related Apps in Counseling: Considerations for Counselors 1.5 CE credit hour
A Whale of a Tale: Gaming Disorder and Spending: Their Associations With Ad Watching in Role-Playing and Loot-Box Gaming 1 CE credit hour
Application to Practice
Treatments for Internet Gaming Disorder and Internet Addiction-A Systematic Review 1.25 CE credit hour